Monday, June 15, 2009

A dangerous business

Departure time! I'm about to leave for San Luis Obispo, where I will get a train up towards the bay area. Tomorrow, I fly to New York and then onwards to London.

This calls for some Tolkien quoting while I still have my copy of Lord of the Rings handy! Here's Frodo talking to Sam about Bilbo's sayings shortly after they set off.

"He used often to say there was only one Road; that it was like a great river: its springs were at every doorstep, and every path was its tributary. 'It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door,' he used to say. 'You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to.' "

A dangerous business indeed, but an exciting one too. A guidebook cannot tell you for certain what lies around the next bend in the Road, and that's the best part. It might be Nazgul, or it might be elves. It might be just more trees. Either way, I need to see.

My bags are packed. My perishable foods are out of the fridge. I've made yet another traveling songs mix on my ipod. I'm as ready as I can be. Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment